Washington Arrest Records | StateRecords.org (2023)

Washington Arrest Search

An arrest record is an official report created by law enforcement agents after an arrest. These records contain information about persons arrested or questioned on suspicion of criminal activity, regardless of the alleged offense. Arrest records are public and maintained by law enforcement agencies.

Generally, arrest records are not proof of criminal behavior, even though they form part of a person's Washington criminal records. The records merely provide information about the subject's apprehension, detention, or questioning. Where the subject of an arrest record gets charged to court, the details in the arrest record may be essential to the court case. Since arrests do not always result in convictions, Washington allows record subjects to erase arrest records under certain circumstances.

Washington arrest search is a procedure that provides interested persons with information about individuals who were arrested and incarcerated within the state’s jurisdiction. Through Washington arrest search, inquirers are supplied information regarding arrests in the state, such as arrest records and reports.

Interested persons can conduct an arrest search to find information about a specific arrest in Washington by querying the law enforcement agency responsible for the arrest. These agenices are typically local police departments and County Sheriff’s Offices. Queries can be made in person at the agency’s physical office, by mail, or via phone call, depending on what the agency permits.

Some law enforcement agencies also provide online resources, such as daily logs and inmate listings, which inquirers can use to obtain information about arrests the agency conducted. For instance, interested persons can find basic information about arrests the Whitman County Sheriff’s Office conducted on a particular date by reviewing the office’s daily log. Inquirers should note that they are typically required to provide details about the arrest they wish to look up when making arrest search queries. These details include and are not limited to the arrestee’s name and the arrest date.

Washington Arrest Statistics

In Washington, the Association of Sheriffs and Police Chiefs administer the Uniform Crime Reporting program and compile crime data submitted by various law enforcement agencies. The crime statistics data in the yearly crime report comprises the number and classes of criminal offenses, arrests, and law enforcement officers assaulted or killed.

Arrest records in the Crime in Washington report include the number of persons arrested, including persons taken into custody but not charged. The total number of arrests in 2020 was 147,061 at the rate of 19.2 per 1,000 persons. Adult arrestees were 140, 144, while juvenile arrestees were 6,917. Washington records different categories of arrests such as persons arrested with warrants (on-view) and without, and persons summoned to court or cited as in the case of a juvenile. Out of the total number of arrested persons, 17.7% were between ages 18 and 24.

Offenses with the highest adult arrest numbers include simple assault (20,369), larceny or theft offenses (15,597), driving under the influence (21,895), and other offenses (22,615). Of the total number of DUI arrests in the state, adult arrests were 99.2%. Similarly, adult arrestees made up 95.8% of all drug arrests in the state in 2020. The highest-ranking offenses for juvenile arrests include simple assault, larceny or theft, destruction of property, and burglary.

According to the 2021 arrest statistics reported in the SAC “CrimeStats Online” database,120,675 adult arrests and 4,624 juvenile arrests were made in Washington in 2021. The database also subdivides the 2021 arrest statistics into crime categories. Some of the crime categories with the highest frequency of arrests in 2021 include the following:

Adults arrests

  • Group B offenses: 49,143 arrests
  • Assault: 27,930 arrests
  • Theft: 17,059 arrests
  • Violation of no contact/protection order: 8,505 arrests
  • Burglary: 4,874 arrests
  • Destruction of property: 4,397 arrests
  • Drug violations: 3,430 arrests

Juvenile arrests

  • Assault: 1,993 arrests
  • Group B offenses: 797 arrests
  • Theft: 555 arrests
  • Destruction of property: 430 arrests
  • Burglary: 188 arrests
  • Robbery: 155 arrests
  • Drug violations: 133 arrests

Compared to the 2020 arrest statistics reported by SAC, Washington state had a 13.9 % decrease in adult arrests and a 33.1% decrease in juvenile arrests in 2021.

What is an Arrest Record in Washington?

An arrest record in Washington is a report that contains information about an arrest. Law enforcement agents create arrest records after an arrest, and they typically include details about the alleged offense, including offense classification. Additionally, Washington arrest records contain personal information about the subject, booking details, and information about any interrogation in connection to the arrest.

Although arrest records are not proof of criminal behavior, these records are essential components of criminal justice processes in the state.

What is Contained in an Arrest Record?

Arrest records contain written accounts of a person's arrest. The information in such records include:

  • Personal information: The alleged offender's full name, aliases, birth date, residential address, nationality or ethnicity, and gender are typically in an arrest record.
  • Booking information: Arrest records contain the date and time of the arrest, arrest type, the booking officer's name, signature, arresting agency, release time, bail amount, the address of the holding facility, and information about any interrogation sessions. The records also contain booking numbers, photographs, and fingerprints.
  • Offense information: Details of the offense, including the classification, a detailed description of the alleged offense, including statements from witnesses and victims, any charges brought against the arrestee, and court dates.
  • Physical description: Weight, race, height, eye color, hair color, marks, tattoos, and other distinctive features of the record's subject are included in an arrest record.

Are Arrest Records Public in Washington?

According to the state's Public Records Act, arrest records are public in Washington. Interested persons may request arrest records from record custodians or law enforcement agencies charged with maintaining such records. However, if an arrest record contains confidential information or any piece of information exempt from public access by state or federal laws, such information may be removed or redacted.

Who Can Access Arrest Records?

As earlier stated, Washington arrest records are public. Therefore, residents and citizens of the state and any interested party requesting from law enforcement agencies and other designated record custodians may access arrest records. Typically, subjects of arrest records, the subjects' parent, guardian, or authorized representatives, and legal counsel can access arrest records. Additionally, law enforcement and criminal justice agencies may access arrest records in Washington.

In most cases, interested members of the public do not require authorization to access arrest records; state laws allow access to public records under reasonable conditions. However, it is important to note that some records are exempt from the public records act. The exemptions exist to protect individuals' privacy, other citizens' business interests, investigative responsibilities and functions of law enforcement agencies, trade secrets, financial information, confidential communication, amongst other things. An arrest record may contain exempt information; in this case, the custodian may remove or redact the information when the record is requested.

Unlike most states, Washington makes juvenile records accessible to the public under certain circumstances. According to RCW 13.50.050, official juvenile court files are accessible to the public, except the court seals such records. All other juvenile records and information that do not appear on the court file may only be released according to the provisions of state laws and when the juvenile and their family's identity are not at risk of exposure.

Washington laws allow law enforcement agencies to release records of arrested juveniles, including incident reports that pertain to the investigation, to schools that the juveniles attend.

How Do I Lookup Someone's Arrest Records in Washington?

Interested parties may look up personal and third-party arrest records through the Washington State Patrol's Access to Criminal History (WATCH) website. It offers requesting parties the opportunity to conduct name searches for arrest records in the state and receive results immediately. The WATCH database contains sex offender and kidnap information, conviction records, and arrest records less than one (1) year old. One search costs $11, and the fee is payable by credit card. WATCH does not refund requests, even if the results return no match. So, requesting parties must have the necessary information, including the subject record's name, date of birth, and middle initial.

Persons interested in looking up others' arrest records in Washington may search the Washington State Archives using the case number on the record of interest. Requesting parties may use case number search or case year search to look up Washington arrest records. Interested parties may also search the digital archives by name, keyword, or details. To initiate a name search, requesting parties must enter the subject's first and last names in the appropriate fields.

Keyword search works similarly; requesting parties may conduct keyword searches by entering a keyword in the appropriate field and selecting the collection to which the record in question belongs. Persons without internet access or who are otherwise unable to access the state's digital archives may send written records requests to the state archives at the address below:

Washington Secretary of State
Washington State Archives
Digital Archives
960 Washington Street
Cheney, WA 99004
(509) 235-7500

Another way to look up someone's arrest record in Washington is to request Criminal History Record Information (CHRI). To do this, requesting parties must submit a request form with applicable fees by mail to the Identification and Background Check Section of the Washington State Patrol at the following address:

Washington State Patrol
Identification and Background Check Section
P.O. Box 42633
Olympia, WA 98504-2633

Washington State Patrol also allows requesting parties to make CHRI requests in person by submitting request forms along with complete sets of fingerprints. Information based on name and date of birth costs $32, while information based on fingerprints costs $58.

While certified criminal justice agencies may request unlimited access to criminal history record information for criminal justice purposes, members of the public may request for non-criminal justice purposes. However, members of the public receive limited information, including arrests less than a year old with pending dispositions, conviction information, and information about kidnappers or registered sex offenders.

Requesting parties may also lookup arrest records in person or by mail at the courts. To look up an arrest record in person, the requesting party may visit the Clerk's Office in the county where the arrest was made for where a case was filed. Interested parties may also submit request forms for arrest records by mail. Washington counties like Snohomish offer guidelines on how interested parties may request public records online.

How to Subpoena Arrest Records in Washington

Suppose all or part of an arrest record maintained by a law enforcement agency or criminal justice organization in Washington is required for law enforcement or criminal justice reasons. In that case, the concerned case party may need to request a court order to get the record. A subpoena duces tecum is a court order that directs a person, organization, or agency to send a record directly to court.

Although the state's Public Records Act guarantees access to public records, some records are exempt from the public records act. As such, such records are restricted from public access. Case parties may need the subpoena to get such records. To subpoena an arrest record in Washington, a requesting party must first file a request form and submit it to the court clerk along with an affidavit. The requesting party must then ensure that the respondent receives a copy of the subpoena.

In Washington, the subpoena must contain the name of the issuing court, the case number, and the title of the action. The court may also instruct the record custodian to appear in court simultaneously as the record. A court clerk, a case party's attorney, or other persons authorized by state statutes may issue and sign a subpoena. However, suppose the court finds that compliance to a subpoena would be illegal or that the subpoena does not allow reasonable time for the respondent to comply. In that case, the court may modify or quash the subpoena.

Peace officers or county sheriffs may serve subpoenas in Washington. Subpoenas may also be served through first-class mail, prepaid postage, or sending to the respondent's last known address. Subpoenas served by mail are deemed complete on the third day after the subpoena is mailed. It is also possible for other process servers apart from county sheriffs and peace officers, such as persons over 18 years old, to serve subpoenas. When such parties do, there must be proof of service by affidavit.

Record custodians must respond to subpoenas within 14 days of service or any other specified time in the order.

How to Search for an Inmate in the Washington Prison System

Washington's Department of Corrections (DOC) oversees the corrective systems for persons convicted of violating state laws. The agency exists to enact positive change, improve lives, and work with other agencies and the citizens to ensure safe communities. DOC aims to operate correction systems in safe and humane ways to ensure people's safety. There are 14 incarceration facilities in Washington, including work or training release centers; these facilities are under the administrative purview of DOC.

In Washington, interested parties may access currently incarcerated inmates' information through the public information service that the DOC provides. Apart from information about currently incarcerated inmates, the DOC websites offer information about persons wanted for arrest.

The DOC provides an Inmate Search Tool on its website where interested parties may search for currently incarcerated inmates in the Washington Prison System or request information about the inmates. The website lists Washington inmates' names, ages, DOC numbers, and the facilities where they are incarcerated. To filter through the list, incarceration facilities, interested parties may enter the inmate's name and DOC number in the appropriate fields. Victims of crime may sign up to receive notifications about inmates in the Washington Prison System.

To find inmates in the city, regional, and county jails, interested parties may contact county or city sheriffs, local police departments, or other agencies that oversee local prisons. Some of these local authorities have inmate rosters or inmate locators on their websites. Requesting parties may search using the inmates' names and numbers.

How Do I Find Out if Someone Was in Jail in Washington

The DOC's inmate search tool offers information on current and former inmates. Persons who require inmate information not available on the search tool may contact the DOC directly for additional information. The DOC can provide the following information about an inmate:

  • Name
  • Date of birth
  • Age
  • Race
  • DOC number
  • Commitment and release date
  • County jail credit time
  • Facility assignment
  • Imposed fines
  • Parole date
  • Conditions for supervision
  • Date of conditional discharge from supervision
  • Execution date
  • Mandatory release date
  • Good time

To find out if someone was in jail in Washington, interested parties may visit the DOC to make inquiries in person at the headquarters, which is located at:

7345 Linderson Way SW
Tumwater, WA 98501-6504

The department also accepts requests by mail; interested parties may send records requests to:

P.O. Box 41100,
Mail Stop 41100
WA 98504-1100

Other ways to request inmate information from the Department of Corrections is by email (DOCCorrespondenceUnit@doc.wa.gov) or by Phone: ((360) 725-8213).

Requesting parties may also visit local law enforcement offices such as local police departments, sheriff's offices, and other local jail authorities. Some local jails publish inmate rosters on their websites; interested parties may visit these websites to find information about persons who were in jail.

How to Find Recent Arrests in Washington

Interested persons can find recent arrests in Washington through jail rosters or arrest logs maintained by law enforcement agencies in cities and counties across Washington state. For instance, inquirers can find recent arrests in Kings County through the online subject lookup portal provided by King County’s Department of Adult and Juvenile Detention (DAJD). On the portal, inquirers can search for and find individuals recently arrested and booked into a correctional facility in King County. To search for a subject on the portal, users must provide the subject name or UCN number. Users are also provided the option to view a list of arrestees booked in the last 24 hours. Arrestee details that are provided on the portal include the subject’s full name, bail amount, holding facility, UCN number, booking number, booking/arrest date and time, and charges details.

Likewise, interested parties can look up recent arrests in Pierce County through the jail roster provided by the County’s Sheriff’s Department Correctional Bureau. In this case, the roster lists all persons currently held in Pierce County jail, Yakima facility, the hospital, and on temporary release. The roster also lists individuals who were released in the last 48 hours. Unfortunately, a search input field is not provided on the roster. As a result, inquirers would need to skim through the roster to find an arrestee. Fortunately, arrestees’ names are listed in alphabetical order.

How Long Do Washington Arrest Records Stay on File?

Washington has retention schedules for government agency records. These schedules help the agencies determine the minimum retention period for the records and the disposition method. There are state retention schedules that apply to government agencies, and there are local government schedules that apply to courts, counties, municipalities, and other local authorities.

While some records may be destroyed on the expiration of the retention period, some other records may be transferred to other agencies or subject to appraisal by the state's archives before disposition. Records that are part of ongoing litigation or reasonably expected to be part of litigation may not be destroyed.

According to the state's retention schedule for county clerks and superior courts, certain juvenile criminal history records may be destroyed upon meeting certain notification and eligibility criteria. However, the schedule does not mention arrest records as part of the criminal history records. Like many states, Washington does not specify retention periods for arrest records. For this reason, law enforcement agencies manage such records in accordance with the agencies' procedures and policies.

Typically, arrest records in Washington stay on the subject's file until the record is expunged. However, interested parties may contact the record custodian for the appropriate agency to determine specific retention schedules that the agency adopts.

What is the Difference Between an Arrest Record and an Arrest Warrant?

An arrest record is a report written or generated by a law enforcement officer after an arrest. In contrast, an arrest warrant is a court-issued document that authorizes law enforcement agents to arrest persons suspected of criminal behavior or violating state laws. Arrest warrants ensure that individual rights to be protected from unreasonable searches and seizures are maintained even in criminal justice processes.

Only judges and magistrates are competent to issue arrest warrants in Washington. Before a judge or magistrate issues an arrest warrant, they must determine probable cause for the suspect to be arrested. To establish probable cause, the law enforcement officer requesting the warrant must submit a petition containing information about the suspect and the alleged offense. The officer must back this statement with an affidavit. Upon examining the petition and all available evidence, if there is cause for an arrest, the court issues an arrest warrant.

Arrest warrants sometimes contain strict instructions about execution, such as the particular person to be arrested, the time of day when the person may be arrested, and the warrant's validity. Arrest records, on the other hand, contain detailed information about the subject's arrest. A warrant must include a judge or magistrate's signature, while an arrest record only requires the reporting officer's signature.

What is an Arrest Report?

An arrest report is a legal document produced by law enforcement agencies that provides information about an arrest conducted by an agency’s official. An arrest report offers a detailed breakdown of an arrest, such as the circumstances surrounding the arrest, the time, date, and place of arrest as well as other important details. Details contained in an arrest report may also include the arrestee and witness statements, information about charges related to the arrest, and evidence found during the arrest.

Given the fact that an arrest report can give a complete picture of an arrest, these records can be of great significance to prosecutors and defendants during a court case. Prosecutors may use the information in an arrest report to strengthen a prosecution case. Meanwhile, defendants may use details of an arrest report to prove that an arrest was unwarranted. Arrest reports are subject to Washington Public Record Act (RCW 42.56), making these reports publicly accessible. Hence, members of the general public may review arrest reports to discover details of an arrest. However, state statutes or court orders can limit public access to arrest reports.

A common misconception is mistaking arrest records and arrest reports as the same thing. Contrarily, these documents are different. While an arrest report details and provides information on a specific arrest, an arrest record details every instance an individual has been arrested in a particular jurisdiction.

What is the Difference Between an Arrest Record and a Criminal Record?

An arrest record forms a part of the subject's criminal history record but is not in itself proof of guilt. It is merely an indication that the police apprehended a person on suspicion of criminal behavior. A person may be arrested but not charged or convicted of any crime.

Only persons convicted of crimes have criminal records. Typically, criminal records contain information about the subject's entire criminal history, including complaints, arrest, warrants, convictions, sentences, incarceration, and so forth. Arrest records do not contain such information.

It is also important to note that law enforcement officers generate arrest records, but criminal history records are often aggregates of records from various agencies and divisions. For example, incarceration records are generated at incarceration facilities, while arrest warrants are generated in court. Both records form part of a person's criminal history, which the Washington State Patrol maintains.

How to Obtain Arrest Records for Free in Washington?

Washington offers various means to access arrest records, including the WATCH website, mail, and in-person requests. However, these methods require fees. Persons requesting arrest records online through WATCH must pay $11 for each search. Similarly, records requests sent by mail and made in person must be accompanied by required fees.

Persons who wish to obtain arrest records for free in Washington may contact court clerks in the county where the arrest warrant was issued, or if the arrest resulted in a charge or a conviction, the county where the case was filed. State laws allow interested parties to access court records at no charge in the courthouse or record custodian's office. However, the court charges fees to produce copies of public records.

Washington courts also provide an online search system for court records where interested parties may search for arrest records at no charge. Requesting parties may search using names or case information. However, requesting parties must note that information available on the website are only for informational purposes and are not official court records.

How to Search for a Washington Arrest Record Online Using a Third-Party Search Service

Third-party search services offer alternatives to government-owned channels. Where government agencies do not provide arrest records online, third-party search services are a way to obtain required information without visiting government agencies in person. Additionally, requests from government agencies often have processing times, especially in-person requests or those sent in by mail. Third-party search services are a way to circumvent these processing times as they return search results instantly.

Persons interested in searching for Washington arrest records online using third-party search services may navigate to their preferred search services and enter the required information in the appropriate fields. Requesting parties can expect to submit the record subject's full name, date of birth, case number, or date of arrest. Some third-party search services offer record search for free, while others require subscriptions or one-time payments.

What Can I Do if My Arrest Record Has a Mistake?

Persons who need to correct mistakes on arrest records must contact the Washington State Patrol directly, as the agency is the central repository for criminal records in the state. The requesting party must first obtain a copy of their RAP sheet or criminal history record from the WSP and then highlight the mistakes in the record.

A Request for Modification of Record form is also required to correct a mistake on an arrest record. The requesting party must submit a completed form with fingerprints in person or by mail to the Identification and Criminal History section of WSP.

How to Expunge Arrest Records in Washington

According to RCW 10.97.060, non-conviction arrest records may be expunged in Washington at least three (3) years after the arrest. Upon the record subject's request, the criminal justice agency that maintains the record may delete the arrest record provided that the agency does not oppose the expungement.

Criminal justice agencies may oppose expungement if the subject of the record has a prior gross misdemeanor or felony conviction. The criminal justice agency may also oppose expungement if the subject of the record has been charged with or arrested for another crime in the three (3) years since the arrest for which the subject is seeking expungement.


How do I seal my arrest record in Washington state? ›

You must file a written motion with the Court to seal your records. Sealing is at the judge's discretion. In deciding whether to seal your court record, a judge will weigh your privacy interests against the public's interest in keeping the files open.

Are arrest records public in Washington? ›

In Washington, criminal records are public through the Freedom of Information Act since they are contained and used by the law enforcement agencies within Washington state.

Can you look up arrest records in Washington state? ›

Request a Criminal

You may make a request for conviction Criminal History Record Information (CHRI) by submitting a completed Request for Conviction Criminal History Form, along with applicable fees to the Identification and Background Check Section.

What is the time limit for a response to a public records request in Washington? ›

Agencies are required to respond promptly to your request. Within five business days after receiving a request, the agency must either: Provide the record(s); Acknowledge your request and give you a reasonable estimate of how long it will take to fully respond; or.

How long does an arrest stay on your record in Washington state? ›

Expungement. Expunging a record in Washington State is the process of deleting the arrest record and charging information two years after a dismissal. Many people who are not eligible for an expungement are still eligible to vacate (reverse) their conviction.

How much does it cost to seal your record in Washington state? ›

Adult Record SealingOur Law FirmTypical Law Firm
Payment PlansYesNo
Low-Price GuaranteeYesNo
Pays Court CostsYesNo
2 more rows

Can arrest records be expunged Washington state? ›

In Washington, you can expunge (i.e. delete or remove) non-conviction criminal history records. Under RCW 10.97. 060, non-conviction records mean any records relating to an incident that did not lead to a “conviction or other disposition adverse to the subject.”

Is it illegal to record a police officer in Washington state? ›

RCW 9.73. 030 provides that it is a crime to record any private conversation without first obtaining the consent of all parties engaged in the communication. However, the courts have repeatedly held that this statute does not apply to public conversations between citizens and police officers and other public officials.

How do I check my criminal record in Washington? ›

Criminal Background Checks
  1. Visit the WSP website (Washington State Patrol)
  2. Call a customer representative at the Washington State Patrol Headquarters in Olympia at (360) 705-5100.
  3. Write: Identification and Criminal History Section. Washington State Patrol. P.O. Box 42633. Olympia WA 98504-2633.

Are local arrest records public? ›

The general rule is that arrest records are public records. However, each state can determine whether they wish for such records to be readily available to the public. Even in states that consider arrest records to be public information, there may be exceptions to when such records will not be released to the public.

How do I find public records in Washington state? ›

Anyone can ask to see written records produced by Washington State government agencies including the Department of Health. To find out more, choose from the following options: Submit a public records request through our DOH Public Records Portal.

How do I look up court cases in WA? ›

Go to the eCourts Portal website to view My Fines/Infringements, Todays Court Lists, Search Court Listings, view your Criminal Information, lodge a Plea of Guilty/Not Guilty, Magistrates Court Online Forms, Notice of Residential Tenancy Applications, Guardianship & Administration and Pay invoice.

What is Rule 42 in Washington? ›

When actions involving a common question of law or fact are pending before the court, it may order a joint hearing or trial of any or all the matters in issue in the actions; it may order all the actions consolidated; and it may make such orders concerning proceedings therein as may tend to avoid unnecessary costs or ...

What is Washington Rule 43? ›

In all trials the testimony of witnesses shall be taken orally in open court, unless otherwise directed by the court or provided by rule or statute.

What is Rule 45 in Washington State court? ›

(1) A subpoena may be served by any suitable person over 18 years of age by giving the person named therein a copy thereof, or by leaving a copy at such person's dwelling house or usual place of abode with some person of suitable age and discretion then residing therein.

What is the 7 year felony rule in Washington state? ›

The CRA prohibits consumer reporting agencies from including convictions that are more than seven years old from the date of disposition, release or parole. Most employers use private agencies, so the seven-year rule will typically apply.

Do misdemeanors go away in Washington state? ›

A misdemeanor conviction can be expunged in Washington so long as the following requirements are met: If your conviction is not for a domestic violence offense, you must wait three years after completing all conditions of your sentence. This includes probation and legal financial obligations.

How long does a misdemeanor stay on your record in Washington? ›

Misdemeanor conviction.

Your misdemeanor or gross misdemeanor conviction may be vacated if: more than three years have passed since you completed your sentence. no criminal charges are pending against you and you haven't been convicted of a new crime.

Is Washington an open records state? ›

Washington law (Chapter 42.56 RCW) requires that identifiable public records be made available to members of the public for inspection and copying upon request. Only records that are exempt by law may be withheld from disclosure. The Act also requires that the public records requested are "identifiable".

Can you expunge a DUI in Washington state? ›

Can DUI be expunged in Washington State? The answer is no. In section 9.96. 060 of the Revised Code of Washington specifically prohibits a DUI conviction to be vacated or expunged.

What are the record keeping requirements in Washington state? ›

The law requires businesses to keep complete and adequate records for a period of at least five years. In general, records should be kept that provide: The amount of gross receipts and sales from all sources, including barter or exchange transactions.

Who can see sealed records in Washington state? ›

Those records are available for review by the person who was detained, arrested, charged, and convicted or acquitted of those crimes. For information about a court record, contact the city or county court where the case was filed. This may be a municipal, district, juvenile, or superior court.

How to remove a misdemeanor from your record in Washington state? ›

Before expunging a misdemeanor from your record, you must have successfully completed all the terms of your sentence. You must also have been convicted of no new crimes in the previous three years (five years for domestic violence convictions). You cannot have any open or pending criminal cases in any state.

How do I get spent convictions removed in WA? ›

How do I get a lesser conviction spent? This request is made to the WA Police. You can apply for a National Police Certificate, which automatically includes a request for any eligible WA convictions to be spent. You don't need to complete a separate application about spent convictions.

What states can you not record police? ›

Two of those states, Massachusetts and Illinois have a provision called an “expectation of privacy.” This means these laws do not apply to recording on-duty police. In the rest of the 48 states, it is legal to openly film police who are on-duty.

Can you record a police interview? ›

The general rule is that the First Amendment protects a citizen's right to record an officer while they are carrying out their duties in a public setting. Recording can take the forms of videos, photographs, or audio recordings.

Is filming in public protected by the First Amendment? ›

The First Amendment protects many forms of expressive activity, not just pure speech. Several Supreme Court cases recognize that the First Amendment protects film as a form of expression. By the logic of these cases, playing, posting, or distributing a film would be a form of constitutionally protected speech.

Are court records public in Washington? ›

All court records are open to the public except as restricted by federal law, state law, court rule, court order, or case law.

How can I get a copy of my criminal record online in Washington state? ›

WSP maintains a way for the public to access a criminal history online. There is a fee involved with this service and a credit card is required. You can visit WSP's WATCH (Washington Access to Criminal History) for more information about background checks through WSP.

How good is TruthFinder? ›

Truthfinder is a safe service to use and keeps all your searches and reports strictly confidential. There is no way for someone to find out if you search their name or look them up using their phone number or email address.

What website shows local arrests? ›

JailBase provides arrest information to the public. Browse recent arrests, use our jail inmate search or view county mugshots all in one place. You can search for arrested persons you might know, and even get notified if someone you know gets arrested.

Where can I view local mugshots for free? ›

Check your local sheriff and police department websites.

Some law enforcement agencies host mugshots online, which you can view for free. Not many do, however, so this shouldn't be your first place to check. You'll need to know the county where the person was booked.

Are arrest records public in the US? ›

In the United States, criminal records, like most criminal proceedings, are generally considered public. Public court proceedings are meant to hold the justice system accountable by allowing the public and media to see and report justice at work.

Where is the best place to find public records? ›

State, City and County Records

The vast majority of public records about people are at the local level: city, county, and state. They can be requested at the County Clerk's Office.

Are marriages public record in Washington state? ›

The State of Washington is an open record state. Anyone may order copies of Washington marriage certificates, as long as they can provide the required information. More information is usually found on the marriage license application or the marriage register.

Are Washington divorce records public? ›

In general, divorce case records in Washington State are a public records.

Can you find out what sentence someone got in WA? ›

Court users and members of the public can get copies of judgments and sentencing remarks handed down by the Supreme Court of Western Australia. The decisions are hosted on the eCourts Portal of Western Australia. Please note that Sentencing Remarks only remain on the eCourts Portal for 28 days.

Where are criminal cases heard in WA? ›

The Magistrates Court deals with adults, aged 18 or over, required to appear in court after being charged with a criminal offence. Minor criminal offences, known as 'simple offences', are dealt with in the Magistrates Court. More serious offences, known as 'indictable offences', begin in the Magistrates Court.

Can you see local court cases OnLine? ›

Electronic Case Files

PACER allows anyone with an account to search and locate appellate, district, and bankruptcy court case and docket information. Register for a PACER account.

What is rule 55 in Washington court? ›

No judgment by default shall be entered against an infant or incompetent person unless represented by a general guardian or guardian ad litem. Findings of fact and conclusions of law are not necessary under this subsection even though reasonable attorney fees are requested and allowed.

What is rule 56 in Washington State court? ›

A party against whom a claim, counterclaim, or cross claim is asserted or a declaratory judgment is sought may move with or without supporting affidavits for a summary judgment in such party's favor as to all or any part thereof.

What is rule 26 in Washington court? ›

If a request, response, or objection is not signed, it shall be stricken unless it is signed promptly after the omission is called to the attention of the party making the request, response, or objection and a party shall not be obligated to take any action with respect to it until it is signed.

What is rule 40 in Washington state court? ›

When a cause is set and called for trial, it shall be tried or dismissed, unless good cause is shown for a continuance. The court may in a proper case, and upon terms, reset the same.

What is rule 5 in Washington state court? ›

In an action begun by seizure of property, in which no person need be or is named as defendant, any service required to be made prior to the filing of an answer, claim, or appearance shall be made upon the person having custody or possession of the property at the time of its seizure.

What is rule 11 in Washington court? ›

If a pleading, motion, or legal memorandum is not signed, it shall be stricken unless it is signed promptly after the omission is called to the attention of the pleader or movant.

What is rule 35 in court? ›

Correcting or Reducing a Sentence. (a) Correcting Clear Error. Within 14 days after sentencing, the court may correct a sentence that resulted from arithmetical, technical, or other clear error.

What is rule 34 in Washington Superior court? ›

(1) Service. The request may, without leave of court, be served upon the plaintiff after the summons and a copy of the complaint are served upon the defendant, or the complaint is filed, whichever shall first occur, and upon any other party with or after service of the summons and complaint upon that party.

What is rule 71 in Washington Superior court? ›

A court appointed attorney may not withdraw without an order of the court. The client of the withdrawing attorney must be given notice of the motion to withdraw and the date and place the motion will be heard.

Can you seal your criminal record in Washington state? ›

A decision whether to seal or vacate a criminal case can only be made by a judge in the court where the case was filed. Sealing or destroying a court record or vacating a conviction does not necessarily affect the records maintained by law enforcement agencies, other government agencies, or private concerns.

What is a seal arrest? ›

Under California law, anyone who was arrested but never convicted can have their arrest records sealed, which means the record won't appear on most criminal background checks. If you were arrested in California but never convicted, you could be eligible to get the record of the arrest sealed.

What is the New Hope Act in Washington state? ›

The passing of the New Hope Act granted countless Washington residents who were previously convicted of crimes a chance to petition the court to vacate their convictions.

How long does a misdemeanor stay on your record in Washington state? ›

Misdemeanor: 3 Years. Gross Misdemeanor: 3 Years. Class A Felonies, sex offenses, and felony DWI offenses are not eligible to be vacated.

Can I get my record expunged in Washington? ›

You can expunge most Washington misdemeanor convictions. This includes domestic violence charges, assault charges, malicious mischief charges, harassment charges, and trespass, to name a few. Washington does not allow you to expunge DUI or Physical Control charges.

Can you seal a DUI in Washington state? ›

A DUI conviction stays on your record permanently in Washington State. It cannot be expunged, vacated or sealed – you're stuck with it.

Can you become a seal with a criminal record? ›

As a SEAL or SWCC candidates, you must pass a background check and qualify to earn a secret security clearance. Applicants with felony records are not accepted, but some misdemeanors and traffic citations may be accepted.

Why are some records sealed? ›

Records are commonly sealed in a number of situations: Sealed birth records (typically after adoption or determination of paternity) Juvenile criminal records may be sealed. Other types of cases involving juveniles may be sealed, anonymized, or pseudonymized ("impounded"); e.g., child sex offense or custody cases.

What is seal evidence? ›

The seal is used to execute a legal document or guarantee the document's authenticity. A seal is unique to a sealer and is used by government agencies, corporations and notaries public to show that the document is validly executed, acknowledged or witnessed.

When was the Hope Act passed? ›

The HOPE Act, passed by the U.S. Congress and signed into law in 2013, allows organ transplants from donors with HIV to recipients with HIV under approved research studies in the United States to assess the safety and efficacy of this practice.

When was the Hope Act signed? ›

The HIV Organ Policy Equity (HOPE) Act, which was signed into law in 2013 and implemented in 2015, called on the organ donation and transplantation community to conduct research to find a way to transplant organs from one person with HIV to another.

What shows up on a background check in Washington state? ›

Washington State Patrol (WSP) - WA State conviction information, arrest and pending charges of less than 12 months, DOC activity, and Registered sex offender status.

Can you go to jail for a misdemeanor in Washington state? ›

Every person convicted of a misdemeanor defined in Title 9A RCW shall be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a maximum term fixed by the court of not more than ninety days, or by a fine in an amount fixed by the court of not more than one thousand dollars, or by both such imprisonment and fine.

What's the longest you can get for a misdemeanor? ›

A misdemeanor is described as a crime where the maximum sentence is no longer than one year in a county jail and a fine up to $1,000. An aggravated misdemeanor is a crime can be punished by up to one year in a county jail and a fine of $1,000 or more.


Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Neely Ledner

Last Updated: 10/07/2023

Views: 6425

Rating: 4.1 / 5 (62 voted)

Reviews: 85% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Neely Ledner

Birthday: 1998-06-09

Address: 443 Barrows Terrace, New Jodyberg, CO 57462-5329

Phone: +2433516856029

Job: Central Legal Facilitator

Hobby: Backpacking, Jogging, Magic, Driving, Macrame, Embroidery, Foraging

Introduction: My name is Neely Ledner, I am a bright, determined, beautiful, adventurous, adventurous, spotless, calm person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.